In 1925, J.P.
Weyerhaeuser, Jr., then serving as manager of the Clearwater Timber
Company, came to Lewiston, Idaho and opened an office taking with
him G. F. Jewett and C. L. Billings.
of the plant, which stands on the site of the former Lewiston fair
grounds, was started in February of 1926 and the first saw log went
through the mill on August 8, 1927.
Robert T. Bowling, still employed as an engineer with Potlatch
Forest Industries developed Pres-to-Logs
and Pres-to-Log stoker fuel at the
Clearwater unit - the first major step in more complete utilization
of the harvested tree through use of waste material. The fuel is
manufactured from dry shavings from the planer mill by subjecting
them to compression and intense heat. From this development came
Wood Briquettes, Inc., organized in 1933 for the purpose of leasing
machines for manufacture of the fuel.
Idaho Energy Logs Inc. started on May 6, 1986 with a 2 machine
the product from these same machines are known as Energy Logs. The
trade name Pres-to-Logs was bought by a
company making a different type of log with different type of